What is Interior Designing?
Interior design is a specific specialization of three-dimensional design and the work has much in common with architecture and planning. The modern collective term for interior and exterior design is “spatial design”. The majority of designers work for commercial and industrial organizations and they tend to work within particular fields, requiring appropriate skills and technical knowledge.
Interior designing, interior decoration or decor is a practice concerned with anything that is found inside a space – walls, windows, doors, finishes, textures, light, furnishings and furniture. All of these elements are used by interior designers to develop a functional, safe, and aesthetically pleasing space for a building’s user.
They plan the spaces of almost every type of building including: hotels, corporate spaces, schools, hospitals, private residences, shopping malls, restaurants, theaters, and airport terminals. Today, interior designers must be attuned to architectural detailing including: floor plans, home renovations, and construction codes.
Interior Designer should be aware of the change in trends and keep up with the latest styles. The objective of designing space is to achieve functionality and to create the right kind of atmosphere for the right budget.
Areas of Specialisations
- Residential design
- Commercial design
When Can I Enroll for Interior Designing Career?
Certificate/Diploma [Interior Desinging]
SSC / HSC / Graduation [any stream]
1 – 3 Yrs.
BFA/ B.Sc / Bachelor of Designing [Interior Designing]
HSC [any stream]
UG-CAT, UG-GAT, Autonomous Exam
Post Graduate Diploma / Masters of Interior Technology
Bachelor’s Degree / Diploma [in related field]
2 – 2 ½ Yrs.
Post Graduate Diploma / Masters of Interior Technology
What Personality Traits are Required to Become a Interior Designer?
- Good aesthetic sense
- Management Skills
- Communication Skill
- Computer-Aided Design Skills
- Superb Drawing Skills
- Ability to Work in Groups
- Ability to Work under Deadline
- Good organizing ability
- Ability to Work under Pressure
What Aptitude Is Required to Become an Interior Designer?
- High Abstract Reasoning
- High Spatial Reasoning
- High Closure Ability
- High Psychomotor Ability
- Average Numerical Ability
IQ Required for Being an Interior Designer?
- Minimum Above Average range of Intelligence along with hard work and consistency preferred.
- More than intelligence level, creativity & innovation play a vital role.
Job Prospects for an Interior Designer
- Interior designing firms
- Architectural firms
- Private consultancies
- Public works department
- Hotel and resort chains
- Studios and theaters
- Exhibition organizers
- Free lancers
Some of the Recruiting Organisations
- Inty pads
- Cameroon cafe’s design
- Pueblo puff design
- Omelet architect
- Mystique Maple design
- Vivid designs
- Silver ray inc.
- Goggle home design
- Wayman world
- Paris moist decore
- Mullato furniture
- Off spring designs
- Oggle it!
- IGO architecture
- Teraapin homes
- Involve design
Where you can apply for Interior Designer?
- B.D Somani Institute of Art and Fashion Technology, Cuffe Parade, www.bdsomani.com
- IITC, 59, Nariman Point, http://www.iitcworld.com
- St. Francis Institute of Art and Design, Borvili, www.sfartinstitute.com
- SNDT Women’s University, New Marine Lines, www.sndt.edu
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Powai, www.iitb.ac.in
- JJ School of Arts, Dr. D. N. Road, Fort. www.sirjjarchitecture.org
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FASHION DESIGN, INIFD House, Sco 32-33-34-35, Sector 8-C, Madhya Marg, Chandigarh 160009, Tel: 0172-2784980, 2784981, URL:www.nifd.net
- SOUTH DELHI POLYTECHNIC FOR WOMEN, Lajpat Nagar-1V, New Delhi-110024, Tel: 26294833, 26294836, URL: www.polytechnic-sdpw.com
- UB&A, ARCHITECTURE AND EDUCATION, E-314A, Basement, Sector-27, Noida-201301, U.P; Tel: + 91 120 3959 303, URL: www.ubaworld.com
- ARCH INSTITUTE OF FASHION AND DESIGN, Plot No. 9, Govind Marg, Opp. Block A, Malviya Nagar Institutional Area, Jaipur – 302017, PH: 91-141-2521074, 3223932, 3296203, +91-9414070678www.archedu.org
- CREATIONS – THE SCHOOL OF DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY, 826, Shukravar Peth, Gadikhana Chowk, Pune – 411002,Tel: 20 2545 1412, 3022 1412, URL: http://www.creationsindia.net
- COLLEGE OF CREATIVE ARTS, Ganga Dham Comm. Phase I, Sr. No. 612 – 615, Lullanagar Bibwewadi Road, Market Yard, Pune 411 037. Tel: 020 – 32917340, 24240023 / 24, URL: www.creativei.info
- SCHOOL OF INTERIOR DESIGN, Arvindbhai Patel Institute of Environmental Design Vallabh Vidyanagar 388120, Gujarat, Tel: 91 2692 37586 / 37301, URL: www.apiedindia.com
- CENTRE FOR ENVIRONMENTAL PLANNING TECHNOLOGY (CEPT), Kasturbhai Lalbhai Campus,University Rd, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad – 380009, Tel: 91-79-630 6652, URL: www.cept.ac.in
- ST. FRANCIS INSTITUTE OF ART AND DESIGN, Mt. Poinsur, Borivali (West), S.V.P Rd, Mumbai, Tel: 022-28936302, URL: www.sfartinstitute.com
- AVINASHILINGAM INSTITUTE FOR HOME SCIENCE, Mettupalayam Road, Coimbatore -641 043, Tel: 0422-2440241, 2435550, URL:www.tnuniv.ac.in/adu
- KARAVALI COLLEGE, Karavali group of colleges, N.H.-17,Near Kottara Chowki Junction, Mangalore-575013, Tel: 0824 2452931, 2458220, 2458861/62, URL: www.karavalicollege.ac.in
- SHREE DEVI COLLEGE OF INTERIOR DESIGN, Ballalbgh,Mangalore-575003, Tel: 0824-2456501,456511, URL: www.shreedevicollege.com
- BIRLA INSTITUTE OF LIBERAL ARTS AND MANAGEMENT SCIENCES, Kolkata, www.bilams.com
- EXTERIOR – INTERIORS, 13, Camac Street, 4th Floor, Rajkamal Building, Kolkatta – 700 017, Tel: 033-22837261, 22837174, URL: www.exterior-interiors.com