Studying Civil Engineering Abroad
In this episode, Ms. Kunjal Sakhrani speaks on civil engineering as a career for studying abroad. What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you have been advised to take up civil engineering as a career? What is civil engineering and what do civil engineers do? Civil engineering is about creating, designing, improvising and maintaining the construction of buildings and infrastructure such as railways, roads, power plant, airports etc.
The civil engineers work with the state or the local government, the private sector at consulting or construction firms, and is responsible for designs for World’s Most Inspiring Buildings, Bridges, Roads and Incredible Structure in the world.
Few related options for Civil Engineering are Bridge Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transport Engineering, Civil and Water Engineering, and Building Engineering. Industry options for civil engineering are Bridge Constructions, Airports, Environment, and Railways
What does the few related options mentioned above and what do they mean?
1) Bridge Engineering: the Bridge Engineers create bonding between the disconnected parts of the country, two banks of the ocean/river etc.
2) Structural Engineering: Structural Engineering is concerned with the design and analysis of the building, towers, tunnel etc. They are the experts when it comes to the technical problems throughout the construction projects, designing structures to fulfill the purpose of the project.
3) Transportation Engineering: Transportation Engineers plans, design and help facilitate any mode of transportation in order to provide environmental and safe movement of goods and people.
4) Civil and Water Engineering: Civil and Water Engineers maintain, repair and build structures to control water resources; it also focuses on the supply, irrigation and disposal.
5) Building Engineering: Building Engineers are responsible for the construction, maintenance, design and renovation of the building.
The application process to apply to the various universities for these courses are: First fill an application form, it can be an online application form or have to download a hard copy of the form, fill it and courier it to the university respectively. You may need your documents like transcripts, which is an official transcript from your universities, school, and college respectively. The Bachelor’s degree from where you have taken. You may need your Statement of Purpose (SOP), Test scores of TOEFL / IELTS / GRE; depending on the country of your choice where you are planning to apply. In previous episodes we have discussed regarding each and every entrance exams that are required for most of the countries. You need Reference Letters, two academic related reference letters and one work experience reference letter if you have some work experience. Resume is also required speaking on your personal details, academic details, your project done, Assignment done, and anything that can apply value to your application. Each and every university has an application deadline, be sure to submit your application well on time to avoid any last minute issues.