Cost & Scholarships In USA
In USA, tuition fee largely depends on whether you plan to study at a public or private institution (refer to the difference between public and private institutions here). The tuition fee is different for different universities and varies widely with courses and popularity of the institution. It can vary from as low as $ 5000 per year to as much as $ 50000 per year for some private universities.
- Estimated Tuition Fee /Per Year
- Living Expenses
- Books and Study Materials, Travel, Clothing, Personal Expenses
abiti estivi mezze maniche Estimated Expenses Per Year:
robe cuir noir manche longue On- Campus Living:
- Estimated Living Cost: $8,000 to $12000 (per year). An average of $800 to $1100 per month should be considered as safe
- Room and Boarding – cost $3000 to $7500 approx. (per year). Allow an additional $1000 to $2000 for vacation periods when the dormitory might be closed
Off- Campus Living:
- Room and Boarding – cost $400 to $700 approx. (per month – depending upon the location)
- Meals – cost $2500 approx. (a year)
Books and Study Materials:
- cost $550 to $1000 approx. (per academic year)
- Within the US cost $250 to $700 approx.
- cost $500 or more annually
- cost around $2500 approximately per year
It is an academic gift that a student gets from the University or any other institute or trust. They are given by different organizations or sponsors after carefully considering various aspects like academic and other talents, need for scholarship, course opted for and so on.
Financial aid can be given for various purposes and types ranging right from a waiver in tuition fees of the University to helping the students for books, travel or living expenses. If a student gets some assistance, it reduces the financial burden on the student to that extent. Scholarships are the best way to get the education funded because student doesn’t have to repay it.
The Different Types Of Financial Aid Are:
This means that the student does not have to pay the tuition fees at the university. The tuition fee may be fully waived or partially waived, depending from university to university.
This is usually an outright grant based on the student’s academic ability and performance. Hence, only a truly outstanding student may be considered for this type of award, before enrolling at the university.
- Partnership for Learning Undergraduate Studies (PLUS) Program– is a US government sponsored scholarship program that offers scholarship to outstanding Indian students who exhibit academic excellence, leadership potential, and an aptitude for cultural exchange. Designed for college students in Liberal arts, humanities and social sciences, the PLUS program is especially targeted at highly motivated Indian students who belong to underserved and disadvantaged socio-economic communities and regions
- The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program – Fellows are selected based on their potential for leadership and their commitment to public service in either the public or private sector. The Humphrey Program is a non-degree-granting program. Participants may complete academic coursework at their host university to update their academic and professional knowledge in their field. Fellows are not able to choose which university they will attend. They are assigned to the most appropriate host institution based on their area of interest and professional field.
- Dumbarton Oaks Trustees for Harvard University- Junior Fellowships – are for degree candidates who, at the time of application, have fulfilled all preliminary requirements for a Ph.D. or appropriate final degree and will be working on a dissertation or final project at Dumbarton Oaks under the direction of a faculty member at their own university.
Most students who receive assistance usually do so in the form of an assistantship, i.e. a cash stipend sufficient for their living expenses, and/or tuition waiver, in return for which the student will have to work (generally not more than 20 hours per week). This work normally consists of teaching and research activities.
- Research Assistantship – it is usually granted by the respective departments in the university. The student will be assigned to a professor who will give him/her tasks related to a research project he/she is working on.
- Teaching Assistantship – a student is asked to assist a professor in teaching. For this type of assistantship, the student should have good command over spoken English. Hence, his/her English language test score would matter.
This type of aid is provided to Master’s and Doctoral level students who are expected to teach undergraduate students or assist their professors in research.
Administrative Internships & Program-Related Internships:
- Administrative Internships – are similar to Assistantships, where students are expected to work part-time under the university’s administrative officers.
- Program-related Internships – These can enable a student either to earn money or gain academic credits for the work done.