What is Architecture?
Architecture is a field that involves a variety of tasks at work, and inputs in design and technology, that range from personal to professional and even includes environmental management. They also deal with technical advice to plan, improve and beautify landscapes, highways, towns, estates, historical monuments and so on. They provide a wide variety of professional services to individual and organizations in planning and building projects and may be involved in all phases through construction. The functions of an architect includes:
- Site selection
- Planning & design of the building
- Safety management
- Quality control Environmental planning
- Estimating & costing
- Supervision of construction work
- Interior decoration Restoration/remodeling of existing buildings
- Long-term land development
Apart from designing, they also prepare land surveys, evaluate lands & buildings for insurance, mortgage or transfer purposes. Architects design and supervise the construction of various types of building, keeping in view the primary consideration of stability, utility and beauty.
The architect has the responsibility of designing a structure that is both, functionally sound and aesthetically appealing, all the while keeping in mind, and the cost effectiveness of the project. Whether it is volume, space or light, an architect must weave all the elements of design effortlessly, in the process of creating a building or structure. Urbanization across the country, supplemented by the increasing disposable income of the middle class and their accessibility to home loans has ensured that a growing number of Indians are looking to set up home. And building these dreams, or quite literally, spear-heading the rapid development of buildings across urban India is none other than an architect.
When Can I Enroll for Architecture?
10+2 Science (PCM)
JEE (Paper II)/ NATA
GATE/ Autonomous Exams
Ph.D in Architecture
What Personality Traits Are Required to Become an Architect?
- Analytical skills
- Good mathematical ability
- Awareness of current social and environmental issues
- Keen observation
- Flexibility and patience
- Responsibility and accountability
- Ability to understand complicated legal language related to the profession
- Ability to work with clients and workers / labourers
- Physical stamina and supervisory skills
What Aptitude is Required to Become an Architect?
- High Abstract Reasoning
- High Numerical Ability
- High Spatial Ability
IQ Required for Being an Architect?
Job Prospects for an Architect
- Defence Services
- Established Architects/builders
- Interior & Landscape Designers
- Municipal Corporation
- Property Developers
- Educational Institutions
- Council of Architecture (COA). www.coa.gov.in
- Maharashtra Association of Schools of Architecture (MASA). www.maharch.org
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). www.aicte-india.org
- Directorate of Technical Education, Maharashtra (DTE). www.dte.org.in