Application Procedure & Visa In Singapore
Singapore, located in the heart of Asia, is easily accessible and one of the most desirable destinations for international students. English is the main language for communication here, affording ample opportunities for students. Singapore is also known to possess a pro-education environment and a reputation for transparency.
International students can apply for public universities in Singapore, the Foreign University campuses or Private Education Organizations (PEOs). All these institutes offer various courses from certificate level to postgraduate – taught & research levels. Admission of international students into mainstream schools is subject to availability of school vacancies, whereas the PEO’s have their own admission policies.
There are 6 public universities in Singapore, which are the National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore Management University (SMU), Singapore Institute of Management (SIM), Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) and Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). Besides these local institutes there are a number of PEOs & Foreign University campuses as well.
- A proven record of academic achievements up to Upper Secondary or Senior High School Certificate or GCE O-Levels.
- TOEFL / IELTS scores
- Minimum entry qualifications for undergraduate courses in polytechnic / University are 10th / 12th with a good score.
- TOEFL / IELTS scores
- A bachelor’s degree with good score
- TOEFL / IELTS
- Public Universities – August
- Private Universities – March (1st Semester) / July (2nd Semester)
- Any international student wishing to study full-time in Singapore is required to apply for a student visa. The student visa in Singapore is called as Student Pass.
- The institution where you will study, will apply for your Student Pass on your behalf. If you are from a visa-required country, the university is responsible to apply for a single journey visa for you. Upon receipt of your acceptance form and student contract, your Student Pass application will be submitted to Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA). You will know of your Student Pass application outcome in 3-4 weeks time.
- Student Pass (STP) holders are allowed to work in Singapore without a work pass only if they have been granted Work Pass exemption under the Employment of Foreign Manpower (Work Pass Exemptions) Notification. Under this notification, STP holders from selected schools are either allowed to work full-time during vacation and part-time (not more than 16 hours) during the school term or only full-time during vacation, without the need to apply for a Work Pass.
- For STP holders who are not granted Work Pass exemption, they will need to apply for a Work Pass if they wish to work in Singapore. Please note that any form of industrial attachment or work training is considered as work under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.
Procedures for applying for a Student Pass
- New applications for a Student Pass must be submitted at least one month and not more than 2 months prior to the commencement of the course.
- Applications must be submitted through the Student’s Pass On-Line Application & Registration (SOLAR) system which is accessible through Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA).
The following documents are needed to apply for a Student Pass
- Valid passport
- Valid travel documents including an onward or return ticket
- Sufficient funds to last for the intended period of stay in Singapore
- Two passport-size photos
- Offer letter from college/university in Singapore
- Completed application forms
- Yellow fever vaccination certificate if passing through or coming from an endemic zone within 6 days of arriving in Singapore
- Local sponsor’s ID card, with photocopy, except for those in Institutes of Higher Learning
- Birth certificate
- About 10 certified copies of highest educational certificates and results
Exemption from Student Pass if he /she is a
- Dependant’s Pass holder studying in a Government/ Government-Aided Organization.
- Immigration Exemption Order holder or.
- Visitor who has been granted a short term visit Pass at the Singapore Checkpoint and wish to attend a short course of not more than 30 days.